- A trusted voice
- Creating a better future for Lexington
- Connecting people, neighborhoods & communities
Shevawn Akers is serving her first term as the LFUCG
2nd District Council Member. She brings enthusiasm, energy and a passion for community to Council. In addition to her Council position, she is also the Manager of Community Engagement for Volunteers of America.
Shevawn is a twice alum from the University of Kentucky, earning a Bachelors degree in social work, with a minor in psychology in 1999; she later returned to earn a Masters in social work in 2008, with a concentration in Family & Community.
Council Member Akers currently serves on the following community boards, commissions and legislative committees:
- Food Truck Workgroup – Chair
- Corridors Commission – Vice-Chair
- Masterson Station Park Advisory Board
- West End Community Partners (Partners for Youth)
- Vacant Properties Commission
- Environmental Quality Committee
- General Government Committee
- Public Safety Committee
- Social Services Committee – Vice-Chair